Friday, November 13, 2009

In which I ponder the meaning of life

9 sleeps out from Ironman and it all just doesn’t feel real yet. I’m trying every day to get back the memory of those long training sessions and the satisfaction I had at that time with my level of fitness. I started out on the taper not feeling at all rested after a full week off for recovery. I found myself shortening workouts to 75% or less of what was scheduled. I was bored, bored, bored and tired, tired, tired. So as not to waste the time I tried to practice being bored. Let’s be honest my 15+ hours of effort will inevitably involve some boredom. Especially on the run. I’m well trained on boredom now.

I’ve now had a week off from anything more strenuous than walking and along with some chiro, massage and a masterful stretch last night with my Pilates instructor, and the result is a happy body. My tight hip flexors and other connective bits were definitely interfering with the inner workings of all those things I have stored in the trunk of my body. I think I was the only athlete going into Ironman feeling her pants getting tighter by the day. But, stretched out with all parts doing their job I’m back to that last hole in the belt.

There is still so much to do, pack for the race, pack for the fun, close the cottage, work. Right now I wish I had access to Bolder’s old blog so I could re-read his pre Iron race epic in which he wrapped his bike in black. Must see if someone can send to me; I need a similar manifesto.

1 comment:

Fe-lady said...

one moment at a time...take it one moment at a time...and it will all come together!