Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Introduction Post


Hi all!!

My name is Tammy. I was a blogger for many years (No Try), made a lot of amazing friends (such as Tri4Ever!)... quit blogging last August when I started grad school, and now I guess I'm blogging again! (but only here... for now). IMAZ '09 will be my second Ironman. My first was one year ago this month at Ironman South Africa. That race didn't go as planned, but I did finish, and am hoping for a much better race in Arizona.

About me: I'll be 40 at the end of the year, so new age group (not that I'm a contender). Single. Grad student at UT Austin studying Sports Psychology with a strong emphasis on Exercise Physiology, which was my original major. I moved to Austin last August from Seattle, WA.... LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it here in Austin! I also work as a multisport coach, mostly online, but hoping to add some Austin athletes to my roster this summer.

I'm a shining example of "adult-onset athleticism", having peeled my butt off the couch at age 32. I started out bike racing, and only found the joys of triathlon after pulling a hamstring. The bike is my strongest by far, then the swim, then the run. I've done all distances of triathlon from sprint to Ironman, and all run distances from 5k to Marathon. Oh, I am also a recent convert to the joys (?) of Bikram Yoga! Been going three times a week for 3 weeks now, and really dig it!

I often read stories about people who find athletics later in life and end up winning every race they enter... that is not me. My gene pool is a bit shallow on the athletics end, but I love to challenge myself (read: scare myself), and have found the Ironman community to be like no other.

My entire immediate family has decided to converge on Tempe to watch me complete this adventure... coming from as far away as California, South Dakota, Georgia, and Germany! That should be an adventure all it's own. That being said, I am really looking forward to getting to know each of you, and help motivate and support you on your Iron journey. And of course have a celebratory margarita or two post-finish! Cheers!

Tammy M.
Austin, TX

P.S.  I am also a Facebook addict, so feel free to "friend me".  ;)

4 comments:

Duane said...

Hi Tammy! Coach Tammy, I know I have heard that on someone's blog, just can't remember who right now! Glad to have another blogger aboard!

Fe-lady said...

Glad you "joined"-altho I haven't posted here...yet. Maybe soon!

Tammy said...

Thanks for the welcome Duane. Yes, I'm infamous ;)

Thanks for giving me the heads-up on the site Fe-Lady. It doesn't come up with a search for Ironman Arizona, which is odd.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, glad I got you added on facebook. Anyone else on can search on my email and find me.

I can't believe adult onset athletism has led you to an academic career in the field. That is so cool. We can keep re-inventing ourselves endlessly, can't we.